Equity 'Makes a Stand'
Millions of people experience domestic abuse every year and two women are killed by their partner or ex-partner every week.
Housing organisations house and employ millions of people across the UK and that means we house and employ many thousands of people affected by domestic abuse.
We believe that the housing sector must do more on this issue. In the words of CIH president Alison Inman, these are "our homes, our people and this is our problem".
The pledge gives housing organisations the opportunity to sign up to make four focused, but easily deliverable commitments to provide support for people experiencing domestic abuse.
What are the key statistics on domestic abuse?
- Worldwide one in three women have reported experiencing some form of physical or sexual violence from an intimate partner in their lifetime
- An EU study found 13 million women reported experiencing physical violence in the last 12 months
- Two women a week in England and Wales are murdered as a result of male violence
- 62% of children living with domestic abuse are directly hurt by the perpetrator
- 40% of people living with domestic abuse have an ASB complaint made against them compared to 9% of all other tenants
- Of the 121 women who came into and exited services in 2015. 22% had a secure tenancy on arrival while only 13% of service users had a secure tenancy after leaving emergency accommodation.